Tuesday, September 2, 2014

DzC Terrain: Overgrown Monument



by Novus


I've dropped 40k for the time being in favor of the excellent Dropzone Commander.  I know 7th is awesome but I need the CSM codex to be reworked before I get back in again.  Hopefully, 2015 will bring that rumored update.

I've been having a bunch of fun painting my PHR and creating terrain for DzC.  My latest terrain effort is based on a trophy I got off Amazon about 2 years ago.  I was going to make something 40k but never got around to it.  Something clicked and I figured it would make a stunning giant statue for DzC.


Terrain is a great way to practice your painting techniques.  I'd never used Nihilakh Oxide (NO) and seeing as this was going to be a giant copper statue on a stone pedestal, this was the perfect chance to try it out.  Worked pretty good.

I did do a bronze/copper base and then weathered with the NO paint.  Kinda covered up the metallic look but came out fairly authentic, on the whole.  Put it on heavy in the crevices.

I even added some guano on the head, shoulders, and nose.


I also recently bought 100 N Scale cars from Amazon to litter the cityscape with.  Pro Tip: The secret to weathering cars for the Reconquest is to remove their glass.  Seriously, I'm working on a small LOS blocking terrain piece now and taking the windows out of the bus was key.



These Apollo's give you a good idea of how big this thing actually is.  At almost 9"tall, it'll force Fast Movers to pick a different path.  I based it using an old CD which should keep it from getting knocked down too often.

He was really easy to paint.  All brush work, both wet and dry.  Mostly dry brush, though.


Terrain is also a great way to get yourself out of a hobby rut.  Pieces like this really add something to the table, I think.  DzC buildings are great but they sorta' lack a certain je ne sais quoi, non?


This guy towers over the other buildings!  Plop him down in an old park or town square and your ruined futuristic city comes to life!


<<< >>>



Click HERE!




2 comments:

  1. We used the same statue to show who was first player in a recent game of Epic Space Marine: http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/epic-battle-report-horus-heresy-skirmish.html

    It was fun to keep passing 'Oscar' back and forth! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yeah, I bought it without a clear idea of what I was going to do with it. I almost threw it away last year. Glad I didn't!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...