Thursday, November 8, 2012

Zombies! (sort of)... Chaos Spawn Counts As!


by Rich K.


I wanted to try out some Chaos Spawn but I didn't want to get stuck paying for them if I don't like the way they play.  I started out thinking I'll just proxy in some termies for a game or two... but then I had a brain wave!  I have an entire squad of WFB Zombies that I'll likely never use (Typhus is just too expensive, I think) so why not put 3 Zombies on a single 40mm base to represent the 3 wounds of a Chaos Spawn?




I've always liked the idea of "fast zombies" (like in the movie "28 Days Later") and this would be a great way to have fast zombies/spawn on the board!  I'll likely use them as a counter charge unit in the backfield if the enemy has drop pods or deep strike units or I'll use them to bubble wrap a Maulerfiend as it charges up the field.



I threw these guys togther, paint and all, in about 4 hours.  They were already assembled but unpainted.  I had to cut them from their 20mm bases, too.  They are mostly just dry brush shades of brown, grey, some red and a little greeen.  There are some brown and purple washes also.  I tried to convey the idea that they had just risen out of the corrupted ground beneath the Chaos Space Marine armies feet.  The long dead heed the call of the Chaos Lord!



I like the dry brush look.  I think it has more energy than a photo-realistic paint job.  It's not smooth and perfect, it lends a comic book or cell-shaded feel which, to me, adds action.


I still can't seem to get the photography right.  No matter how much light I put on these models, they always come out looking darker than they actually are.


For a quick turn set of Chaos Spawn, I think they came out alright.



8 comments:

  1. A twelve-gauge shotgun! The zombie's only natural predator!

    Neat idea, GSI, and your photos are looking better, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man! Still don't look quite right... not sure what is wrong as I do have a "sunlight" bulb. Maybe I need two?

      Delete
    2. A little adjustment in photoshop would do the trick, but another daylight bulb certainly wouldn't hurt. Also, try "sweeping" your background to get rid of that white/grey break halfway up the pictures.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I need a bigger sheet of white paper. I used to have one until my cat took a liking to it and poked her extra-long claws through it.

      Delete
  2. Change the apature speed? To allow more light in. Change the light function? To allow for the bulb type used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Ellis. This camera takes great pics with certain models and then others... meh. I'll keep plugging away! Thanks for he suggestions!

      Delete
  3. Very nice looking zombies! Love the deadflesh colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dizmo! That's basically black undercoat, then scorched brown, then calthan brown, and then bleached bone. All drybrush. I did a lot of half-ass mixing to get the splotchy look. Also, some flesh and devlin mud washes over that.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...